Saturday, July 12, 2008

John Wyant Fri 7/11/08

Today was my first day in Pittsburgh PA to celebrate the 2008 Transplant games! We got in late last night (thurs after an 11 hour drive from Fond Du Lac WI) and woke up pretty well rested to enjoy the day. I am very excited to be here. This is my second games. (I competed for team MA/NH/VT in 2004) I went the experience alone and other than the people I met and the events I was in I remember it as a lonely time. This week also happens to be the 6 year anniversary of receiving my new life (I got my new kidney from my mom at UW Madison on July 17th 2002) This year I have the joy of sharing the experience with Kate (my wife of 2 years) and Daniel (my 8 year old son) (I have been his father for 3 years now). Neither of them were with me for my Chronic Renal Failure or transplant surgery. I am excited for them to be inspired by other recipients and families and for them to experience "my transplant world" a little more first hand.
In the lobby heading down to breakfast we met the nicest most inspiring lady (I met so many people today that I can't currently place her name.) but here is her picture. She is a kidney transplant recipient from Colorado of 4 years who unfortunately has also been diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer. She was the toughest fighter I have ever met. She is here to compete in swimming and refuses to let the cancer bring her down even a notch. Her intensity to live was awe inspiring, and when I say she was tough it went beyond the intensity in her eyes, the swagger in her step, and the inspirational way she spoke. Let's just say I wouldn't try to take her on in arm wrestling! I pray for her and that someday I could have half the guts that she does.
After we ate, Dan Kate and I went off to see the city. We met alot of really cool people from all different states as we walked around town. Dan had loads of fun trading pins with them. We went up "the incline", saw the fountains at "The point" (where the 2 rivers meet), and had lunch.

At 3pm we went and registered. We got to meet the cool people on our team and pose for photos. Check in was enjoyable just as it was in 2004. You get to see loads of people and start to get that feeling that you really are an athlete. All the volunteers and everyone involved go out of there way to make us feel special!
After we "striked a pose" we went to the Vendor booths and to grab our team bags. My 8 year old was in "free stuff heaven"! He grabbed so many bobbles that I think Kate is still trying to figure out a way to condense it all so we could possibly even fit in the car with the "stuff" for the ride home. It was a little embarassing but "boys will be boys" and if he had fun then that is all that matters in the end to me!
We then went back to the hotel to change and were off again for the picnic at the ball park and to see the Pirates take on the Cardinals! The picnic was awesome! The food was great and it was a great chance to meet our team mates. I am really thankful that we were given the picnic and the game as a gift as I feel it really brought everyone together and broke the ice between my family and some great team Wissonsin members. We got to sit and watch the game with Darren, Tia and approximately 8 other really cool "new" friends (yes.. I forgot names again...I will get better at remembering as we settle in a little more :) ) . Other than someone from the upper deck pelting us with chunks of hotdogs and my boy spilling his bubbles on the nice lady next to him we had a great time!
We ended our awesome first day with a really cool fireworks show put on by the ball park!
We had a great first day! I feel very blessed to be with such a great team and to experience such an awesome city as Pittsburgh! Now I am looking forward to tomorrow and opening ceremonies!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a hero John Wyant! Keep up the blogs and pictures you have a beautiful family. God has given you many gifts thanks for sharing them with so many people. God bless.