Saturday, July 12, 2008

John Wyant Sat 7/12/08

It has been 4 years since I played and I had forgotten what an emotional roller coaster opening day is. It started out as a lot of fun and laughs. We went to the convention center to sign up for the 5k so we could run as a family. I had the luck of getting to meet Larry Hagman. I have wanted to meet him since the 2004 games because he makes me giggle with his little speach about our scars being a badge of honor as he starts to rip off his shirt.

After a few minutes chatting with Larry we continued to head down the convention center towards to kiosk to sign up for the 5k. When through the crowd I saw one of my old team members from when I lived in Massachusetts Jim Kane. He was on my basketball team and we had become close at the 2004 games. I headed his way to suprise him and I had a good angle as it looked like he was sitting dowm. I snuck up and gave him a hug from behind and he gave me a big bear hug back as we were glad to see each other. As I looked down he wasnt sitting in a normal chair but instead a wheel chair and his right leg had been amputated. He had some difficulties in circulation and ended up losing his leg so he could survive. I have never felt such shock in my life. My memory sees him as a hard nosed basketball player then next thing he is stuck to a wheel chair. He had the same fighting spirit he always had and expects his prosthetic leg in a couple weeks and fully plans to play in 2 years. It just states to me again the fact that we have to suck up each minute here to hug and love as many people as possible and to not let a day slip away. We never know when that next curve ball can hit any of us transplant recipient or not.

Basketball practice was just pure fun! We got a great work out, the team seemed to really gel and coach Tom is a calm and knowledgable leader. The practice made me very excited to play tomorrow night!



After practice we went back showered and changed then had a small get together to celebrate coach Tom's birthday. We had some good laughs then headed off to opening ceremonies.
The people that they had come up to speak really tugged at my heart. The lady who has had 15 tries at a new liver and still does not have one really got me emotional. If my situation didn't work out perfect the 1st time the chances are large that I may have never gotten married or met Kate or had the joy of being a father to Dan. We need to all push with everything we have to get organ donation recognized and becomes commonplace so no one has to go through the heart ache of several missed oportunities. and the only way to get there is for successful recients and families to show how well it works and what an amazing thing that giving a gift of life is. Leading by example is the only way. I pray when it is my turn that I can pay back and help some other family feel the gift of life that I feel every day.
Watching the donor famlies come out was just as emotional. These families are so much braver than I ever thought I was. I just had to lay on a table and let the doctors perform their craft and now take my medicine as I have been trained. These families gave the ultimate sacrifice during the ultimate time of grief and still love their loved ones who have past enough to come here and keep their spirit alive by both the gift of giving and as being walking testimonials. Watching some of the people I now call friends walking down the aisle crying for their loved ones made me so proud for their courage that I will never forget the feeling in my spirit and realize I can never muster enough thank you's for the courage and love they have for others and their loved ones.
Well I am going to keep it short as I have o get up at 6am so I can do the 5k with my family and team mates!
Good night and God Bless.
-John

1 comment:

brotherkidney said...

Good Luck Team Wisconsin
Good Luck Jim Brien
Will keep checking team results
Jerry