Sunday, July 13, 2008

John Wyant Sun 7/13/08

I'm sitting here reflecting on the day as I wonder why my body feels like it has been hit by a train. Let's see we did the 5k, we did track practice, we watched Bob compete in swimming and I played 2 basketball games. The last one being the most physically tiring thing I have done since my transplant.... Yeah I guess that would do it. But you know what!? It was fuuuuuuun! :)
The 5k was amazing. It was a giant love in with no hard core competition if you didn’t want to live that world. Just a fun brisk walk with Kate and Dan and a good chance to get to talk to fellow team members and new friends. (Mark your calendars! Next games I am running it!) The one thing I can say that team Wisconsin has that NO ONE has is we ARE family. And nothing showed that more than walking among my team mates in that race. We all look out for each other and want to know each other. Being a new team member it is a special feeling and I refuse to lose the friends I have gained this week. It was awesome to see team Wisconsin win 6 medals. I was especially proud of Jessica. I feel like she is my little buddy. Finishing it in 22 min what a machine! And I got to do a new first in my life. I got to have ziti and meatballs for breakfast. At first I thought it would be gross but I ended up taking 2 helpings (don't tell anyone :) )
We then went back to the hotel and took a break in the hot tub and then headed off to track practice.
I always thought a discus was something in your back that you could easily injure. So let’s say I was a little nervous that leading into today I still did not know what one even looked like. I was lucky enough that when I got to the track a heart recipient named Mark was willing to show me the ropes (after I showed proper proof that I was not in his age group and offered no threat to him in winning a medal). After seeing me throw and smack the thing into the fence a few times I think he realizes the credential check was a little much ;). But after a few tries I got it down to a point where I think I will do ok tomorrow. And the best part I made a friend in the process! This is why the games are special to me.


After practice we stopped by the pool and watched Bob compete in his swimming event. He was a little nervous before the race and looked a little pale, but nothing was going to stop him from doing his thing. I admire his no quit attitude and his kind demeanor. Bob was strong out of the gate and shot hard across the pool to the other side. Then he must have reached a difficulty because he needed to stop. But he refused to be pulled from the water. He made his own way over to the ladder and slapped coach Tom's hand as he tried to help him out. Bob is hardcore and I love him for that!


Next on our agenda was my number one reason for being here "BASKETBALL!" Basketball has been a huge part of my life. When I was sick with kidney disease...Whenever I played was the only time I felt no pain. I believe basketball kept my will and my body alive through out my hard times. I never was healthy enough to play organized ball. I only played pick up street ball games. Until Coach Tom's pointers at this years’ games I have never been officially taught the game. I feel with just the simple quick tips that Coach Tom gave me at the games that I now am a true player.
The first game was just flat out fun. The team we played (Team Pittsburgh) was new to the game of basketball so it ended up being more of a fun time than a hardcore game. In the fun our team really started to gel. We won 59 to 20. The other team had a small boy that couldn't have been more than a few years older than my son Dan. Any time he made a basket you would think he just won the suberbowl or something! He would run around and pound the floor and point up towards God. It was a hoot.


In the rest time between games I got to hang out with my buddy and life saver/transplant coordinator Crystal Peterson.

I also had the best time getting to sit with Dennis and his entire family. I feel very close to Dennis. I thought he had the cutest family, and Dan really enjoyed playing with his son.
The mellow times came to a quick end when we faced our next opponent team Oklahoma. I mean these guys were big boys and they could play. They had two women that were tall and quick and could also play. The game was tooth and nail from the whistle on. I was so proud of our girls! They were matched up against women and out played them in my mind. It was completely physically tiring trying to body these guys to get rebounds. They were immovable. These guys wore me out in a way I have never been before. I had nothing left in my tank before halftime. I still have no clue on how I finished that game, and in my mind I left it all out there and did not quit on a single play. But no matter how good these guys played NO ONE on our team stopped fighting with all the spirit and power they had. One of the guys on Oklahoma got hot with threes and could not miss for a while. In my mind that was the difference maker and why we ended up losing by six. But my question is this... If we gelled as a team and as friends and fought until we had nothing left, and had fun in the process, did we really lose? HELL NO. We have a good unit now and the girls will get nothing but better. All I need to say is watch out COED 2010! When we lost Coach Tom kissed each of us on the top of our heads and asked if we had fun. Have a mentioned yet that I love Coach Tom?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys were great last night!